Deadline for Entries: March 15, 2019
Artist in residence
and Graphic Artists
Your creative work could be featured in Art New England, one of the world’s leading art publications.
Art New England, in celebration of its 40th Anniversary and in collaboration with Artrepreneur, announces an Open Call for an Illustrator/Artist-in-Residence. Three finalists will be chosen, with the winner’s work appearing in three issues of Art New England in 2019 in addition to a $500 cash prize and $300 dollars per issue. Work will help illustrate the Publisher’s Letter and other editorial as needed with specifics and instructions provided to the artist per issue.
Who CAn Enter?
- Artists must be connected to New England in some capacity: via birth, relocation or other unique story. The Artists will describe this New England connection in their Artist Statement upon entry.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Submission must be by the copyright holder. (Applicants retain the copyright in any submitted work.)
- Employees of Artrepreneur or Art New England are not eligible.
What should you submit?
For the purposes of this open call, an illustration is a decoration, interpretation or visual explanation of a text, concept or process, designed for integration in published media, such as posters, flyers, magazines, books, teaching materials, animations, video games and films.
Your artistic creation can depict anything – it should represent your signature artistic style. It does NOT have to depict New England.
In the application wizard’s Describe YourArtwork(s) area, answer the following question:
- What is your connection to New England (New England includes Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut)? Whether you grew up in Maine, spent summers in Vermont, raised your children in New Hampshire, worked in Massachusetts, lived in Connecticut, or attended school in Rhode Island, tell us how you and your entry connect to New England.
For more information, click the “start your submission” button above.
- Three finalists will be chosen, with the winner’s work appearing in three issues of Art New England in 2019 in addition to a $500 cash prize.
- The winning artist will also receive $300 dollars per issue in which their work is featured. Work will help illustrate the Publisher’s Letter and other editorials as needed.
- 2nd Prize: $300
- 3rd Prize: $200
10 runners-up will receive a $50 dollar gift certificate to Blick Art Supplies.
- The winners will have a Winners Badge permanently placed on their Artrepreneur Bio/CV and linked to their winning artwork.
- Artwork from winners will be permanently displayed on the Artrepreneur Open Call Winners Page.
- Artrepreneur and Art New England will promote winners and runners-up on its social media and newsletters.
The announcement of the winner and other contest updates can be found on Instagram, so please follow us to receive these notifications.
We Value Your Work
Submissions will only be used as described above although Art New England reserves the right to show your submissions as examples to promote future open calls. (Facebook, display ads, Instagram, LinkedIn, email, etc). Any other usage will require the permission of the author. Submissions may be subject to minor edits such as cropping to fit certain ad platforms, enhancing, or placing text on the image. For more information, see the additional rules.
Dates and Deadlines
Deadline for Entry is CLOSED
Juror Panels will review submissions by April 1, 2019
Winners will be announced by April 5, 2019
Winners will receive their cash prizes by April 15, 2019
About Art New England
Art New England, recently celebrating its 40th anniversary, remains widely recognized as one of the country’s leading visual arts and contemporary culture magazines. With its digital complement, ANEonline, the publication offers critical insight into the exhibitions, artists and trends affecting the New England art scene. Art New England’s presentation and regional focus does not exist in any other publication either in print or online. For an advertiser, this provides a perfect environment for products and services connected to the arts, as well as a direct link to readers highly motivated to receive these messages. Art New England is published bi-monthly (six issues per year) and is distributed through subscription, on newsstands, in-room hotel distribution and through special events.